these were some of my favorite pics from last night. when everyone was holding up the signs it was a really beautiful moment and im glad i got to experience that and everything else that’s happened since i first listened to this crazy band.
the world is your oyster as long as you are a white neurotypical cishet male
Hey look at this idiot
i’ll repeat myself: the world is your oyster as long as you are a WHITE,
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/13/school-discipline-race_n_4952322.html - 1 In 4 Black Students With Disabilities Suspended From School
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/14/skin-tone-bias_n_4597924.html - Study Reveals The Unconscious Bias Towards Dark Skin People
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/black-executive-fired-bp-hair-ethnic-clothing-_n_4413543.html - Black Executive Allegedly Fired From BP For Braided Hair And Ethnic Clothing
- African-Americans comprise 13% of the U.S. population and 14% of the monthly drug users, but 37% of the people arrested for drug-related offenses in America.
- Studies show that police are more likely to pull over and frisk blacks or Latinos than whites. In New York City, 80% of the stops made were blacks and Latinos, and 85% of those people were frisked, compared to a mere 8% of the white people stopped.
- After being arrested, African Americans are 33% more likely than whites to be detained while facing a felony trial in New York.
- In 2010, the U.S. Sentencing Commission reported that African Americans receive 10% longer sentences than whites through the federal system for the same crimes.
- In 2009 African-Americans are 21% more likely than whites to receive mandatory minimum sentences and 20% more likely to be sentenced to prison than white drug defendants.
- In a 2009 report, 2/3 of the criminals receiving life sentences were non-whites. In New York, it is 83%.
- African Americans make up 57% of the people in state prisons for drug offenses.
- An African American male born in 2001 had a 32% chance of going to jail in his lifetime, while a Latino male has a 17% chance, and a white male only 6%.
- In 2012, 51% of Americans expressed anti-black sentiments in a poll.
- A survey in 2011 revealed that 52% of non-Hispanic whites expressed anti-Hispanic attitudes.
- http://www.dailyastorian.com/news/northwest/wash-school-principal-accused-of-student-assault/article_f770d245-b5ff-560c-bcbf-d1383019babf.html - Wash. school principal accused of assaulting a mentally disabled student
- http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/04/doj-solitary-confinement-mentally-ill-children-ohio - Ohio jail imposed 60,000 hours of unjustified solitary confinement on 229 boys with mental-health needs
- http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/legalissues/a/vote1000.htm - 44 states have laws barring people with emotional or cognitive impairment from voting
- In the UK, 70% of people affected by mental illness experience discrimination, and discrimination is believed to be worse in developing countries.
- Mental and psychosocial disabilities are associated with rates of unemployment as high as 90%.
- 61% of working age adults with mental health disabilities are outside of the labour force, compared with only 20% of working-age adults in the general population.
- Employment rates also vary by diagnostic group from 40 to 60% for people reporting a major depressive disorder to 20-35% for those reporting an anxiety disorder.
- Unemployment rates for people with serious and persistent psychiatric disabilities (such as schizophrenia) are the highest, typically 80-90%.
- Twice as many people with mental disabilities (the majority) expect to experience employment-related discrimination.
- People with mental disorders identify employment discrimination as one of their most frequent stigma experiences.
- Two recent studies confirm that people with mental disorders who receive disability payments are less likely to be employed competitively and, if employed, likely to earn less.
- Because of all of this, over time, people with mental disorders may come to view themselves as unemployable and stop seeking work altogether.
- http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/02/13/kansas_anti_gay_segregation_bill_is_an_abomination.html - Kansas passed a bill to legalize segregation of gay and straight people in virtually every arena of life
- http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/us/arizona-anti-gay-bill/ - Arizona’s Legislature passed a bill allowing business owners to deny service to gay and lesbian customers
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/michael-griffin-teacher-fired-_n_4413931.html - Michael Griffin, Gay Pennsylvania Teacher, Fired For Obtaining Same-Sex Marriage License
- 21% of LGBT employees who report having been discriminated against in hiring, promotions and pay,47% of transgender employees reported similar discrimination at work.
- Gay and bisexual men make $0.68-$0.90 for every dollar earned by similarly-qualified heterosexual men.
- One out of every 25 complaints made about workplace discrimination comes from LGBT employees.
- 90% of transgender workers report some form of harassment or mistreatment on the job.
- According to a study, straight couples were favored over gay male couples in 15.9 percent of tests and over lesbian couples in 15.6 percent of tests.
- 13% of gay and transgender workers report being passed over for a job or fired because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- 19% received a negative performance evaluation or were passed over for a promotion because they were gay or transgender.
- 24% percent of gay and transgender workers were verbally or physically abused or had their workplace vandalized.
- http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/us/politics/senate-republicans-block-bill-on-equal-pay.html?_r=0 - Senate Republicans Block Bill on Equal Pay
- http://washingtonexaminer.com/9-pennsylvania-colleges-target-of-gender-complaint/article/feed/2129551 - Pennsylvania colleges accused of not providing equal athletic opportunities for female students
- http://articles.courant.com/2014-01-03/community/hc-yale-discrimination-suit-0104-20140103_1_tenured-professor-complaint-gender - Yale Professor Files Gender Discrimination Lawsuit as she was denied reappointment
- Women working 41 to 44 hours per week earn 84.6% of what men working similar hours earn; women working more than 60 hours per week earn only 78.3% of what men in the same time category earn.
- Women work longer to receive the promotions that provide access to higher pay. Among school principals, women have an average of 3 years longer as teachers than men do.
- African American women earn only 72c and Latinas 60c for every dollar that men earn.
- At least 1 in 3 women around the world has been beaten, coerced into sex, or otherwise abused in her lifetime with the abuser usually someone known to her.
- Globally, women make up just 17% of parliamentarians.
- 10 million more girls are out of school than boys, and 41 million girls worldwide are still denied a primary education.
- Women account for nearly two thirds of the world’s 780 million people who cannot read.
- Women produce up to 80% of food in developing countries, but are more likely to be hungry than men, and are often denied the right to own land.
Sources for statistics: